This site is all about sweet potatoes, also known as yams in the United States."Resources" page to know where to find heirloom and popular varieties.
Worldwide sweet potato production and consumption is huge!
Sweet potatoes have a major global impact. All around the world people eat and use this superfood, its plant leaves and roots.
With a vast variety of uses, they are among the world's most important food crops.
Consider the following facts all about sweet potatoes:
* Every year more than 130,000,000 tons are produced around the world. Production numbers are estimated for developing countries where reporting from rural farms can be inconsistent.
* Ranks among the 5 most important food crops in over 50 developing countries (along with rice, wheat, maize, and cassava)
* Ranks among the world's 7 most important food crops (along with wheat, rice, maize, potato, barley, and cassava)
* Cultivated in over 100 developing countries
* Over 95% of the global crop is produced in developing countries
* Mostly produced in Asia (over 120,000,000 tons every year)
* China accounts for about 90% of worldwide sweet potato production
Recipes, pictures, facts and history - all here at the Internet's Sweet Potatoes Ultimate Destination Site (SPUDS)
Amish White Bunch
Ivis White Cream
Maynard Family White
Old Fashioned Southern Queen
Red Wine Velvet
Ringley’s Porto Rico
Tennessee Top Mark
Theodore Meece Old Fashioned White